Monday, August 1, 2011

Pre-School Prep

Dear Parker,
This morning we went to your school to re-familiarize you with the building and to get a feel for your new room.  I can't believe that you are going to be in pre-school next year!  You are still pretty shy and clingy in new situations and even though you know your teacher and some of the kids, you were fairly shy.  But, you wanted to stay for awhile, so we did.  You sat on the mat nicely and waited while the other crazy kids were trying to follow directions.

Teaching younger kids the last couple of years has given me a different perspective on you and the way you work with other kids.  In every room, there are always a couple of REALLY good kids who follow the directions and do the right things.  I always feel bad for these kids because, inevitably, they are surrounded by goofballs who can't follow directions and then they have to wait for those kids to get it together before doing something.  Watching you today, made me understand that you (at least right now) are one of those REALLY good kids.  You sat on that mat for a least 5 minutes waiting for the other crazies to get it together.  I felt so bad.  I know that being patient and learning to deal with others is part of life and I understand that you need to learn it.  But, the mommy part of me is just sad about it.

At one point, Miss Valerie was assigning centers to everyone (by asking what the kid wanted and then letting them go there).  You had been waiting a while and you turned to me and said, "I want trains."  I was totally taken back to being younger and all the crazy things I stressed about in my head like that.  I don't like to think of you worrying about things like not getting to play with the trains or losing your hat or any of the other crazy things that I know I worried about when I was little.  I don't know how to help you not worry about those little things.

I understand that I can't protect you and be there when other kids steal your toys or push you in line, but I want to.  You're growing up and I'm just having a hard time with it.

I love you so much and I'm so hopeful that you are going to have a great year in Pre-School.  You have been so grown-up lately and I'm so proud of you, but also a little sad to see my baby go.

I love you, not-so babygirl,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment