Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Big Game

Dear Parker,

Last night, your Moms' alma mater, Butler University had the opportunity to play in the National Championship Game for Men's Basketball. I wanted to write you a letter to tell you about it, but I'm not really sure that I'm going to do it justice.

When I started at Butler, the team was not consistently even making the NCAA tournament. My freshmen year, they got in and I traveled with the team to Detroit (how exotic!). It was an amazing experience. That is the only time that I have been able to travel to an NCAA tournament. Your Mom, on the other hand, got to go to other tournament games - including a heartbreaking loss to Florida. You should ask her about that when you get older.

This year was different. Until this year, we have been the underdog pulling out major upsets if we win. And, although many still considered us an underdog - and I suppose we were in many regards - we were winning. Not on last second "hail Mary" shots. We were just winning. We made it all the way to the Championship Game.

I don't know if everyone feels this way about their alma mater or not, but I was so proud. It goes beyond being excited that a team is doing well. It's being able to look at a group of people who are representing your University in such a positive way and feeling like you are somehow a part of it. I'm so proud to have gone to Butler, to have played in the pep band and to have supported the team through its ups and downs.

We didn't win the BIG game, but it was oh-so-close and they played really hard. We certainly didn't lose. We just didn't win. I hope that when you grow up, you find such an amazing place to go to college. You deserve it.

Go Dawgs!
Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment